Next To My Reading Chair

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Idleness

Proverbs 31:27
She watches over the ways of her household,
And does not eat the bread of idleness.


I am afflicted with the sickness of idleness. I know what I should be doing, what is needed. I just don't want to. I would rather browse the web, read, play games, check facebook, find new pins on pinterest, sleep...You get the idea. But what is needed for my relationship with Christ, for my family, for our homeschool, for Mikah and my relationship with my husband?

Ecclesiastes 10:18
Because of laziness the building decays,
And through idleness of hands the house leaks.

Ezekial 16:49
Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

2 Thessalonians 3:6
But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us.

These warnings from scripture make it clear that we are not to be idle but diligent, working and busy towards that which God has called us. To be doing what is needed. And the results from such diligence? We find it in Proverbs 31.

Proverbs 31:26-28
She opens her mouth with wisdom, 
      And on her tongue is the law of kindness. 
       She watches over the ways of her household, 
      And does not eat the bread of idleness. 
       Her children rise up and call her blessed; 
      Her husband also, and he praises her.

Daily, laying aside my wants and desires, striving to do that which is needed over "eating the bread of idleness".

Does anyone else struggle with idleness? What is your affliction?

No comments:

Post a Comment